How to: Caramel Cupcakes!!

Hello everyone!

This evening, I went baking! This is the first time I've made something from my head (if that makes sense) and not from a book so I decided to share it with you all. 

These caramel cupcakes are just delicious and I am so happy that I decided to experiment with baking this evening instead of just making regular vanilla cupcakes! 

Here is everything you will need!!
Ingredients:
Cupcakes:
120g baking butter
120g sugar
120g self-raising flour 
Teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
Caramel flavouring
Icing:
100g butter
200g icing sugar
Tin condensed milk
2 dessert spoons double cream
Caramel flavouring
Chopped toffee pieces

To start with, I preheated the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan-oven) and put cupcake cases into my bun tin. I used these cute little yellow cases.


Then, it was time to start baking!! First, I creamed together the butter and sugar. I beat them on high speed until it looked light and creamy. 


I then started alternating the sifted flour and eggs (which I cracked into a jug to avoid shells getting into the mixture) into my butter and sugar. Once everything was mixed together, I added 2-3 caps of the caramel flavouring. I had to taste the batter to make sure it was the right flavour I wanted (it was also an excuse to eat some cake batter!!) so just keep adding the flavouring to taste. I gave the batter another good mix on the high speed setting.


Using an ice-cream scoop, I filled up the cases and popped them into the oven for 12-15 mins. When they were done, I took them out of the bun tin and on to a wire tray to cool down.


While the cupcakes were cooling, it was time to make the caramel for the icing. I'm not too sure if I would use this method again, but I wouldn't say no to it if I needed to make caramel quickly. 
I poured the tin of condensed milk into a saucepan and brought it to the boil, stirring occasionally with a whisk. It took a while for this to start bubbling, but once it does it doesn't stop!! Once it was brought to the boil, I added a small bit of butter, the double cream and caramel flavouring. 
To make the butter icing, you can use whatever recipe you usually use. For me, I just mixed the butter until it was nice and soft, then sifted in half of the icing sugar, mixed, and then added the remaining icing sugar (sifted!). 
And now it's time to make this caramel butter icing!! It's simple, just add half of your cooled caramel mixture to the butter icing and mix well. If you want a bit more flavour (like me!) add some more of that caramel flavouring.
I didn't use a piping bag for the icing for these cupcakes as the icing was very sweet and I didn't want too much. Instead, I used a knife to spread it on. I love the rustic look this technique gave the cupcakes. I put three little pieces of chopped toffee on top and these cupcakes were ready to serve!!





And there we have it! Caramel cupcakes with caramel butter icing, perfect with a cup of tea on these cold Autumn evenings. If you make these cupcakes, post a photo on Instagram and be sure to tag me (link below) and use the hashtag #BakingWithFifs!

Until next time.
Fifs xo

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJiSrpzyYR_YGnVdqKo1nQ
Twitter: https://twitter.com/aoife_doyle_x
Instagram: AoifeDoyle1995




SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig